IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa freshmen Aaron White has been named Big Ten co-Freshman of the Week after his performance in Iowa's season opening victory over Chicago State last Friday. White shares the weekly honor with Indiana's Cody Zeller.
White shined in his Hawkeye debut, leading all scorers and rebounders with 19 points and 10 rebounds in 18 minutes of action. The native of Strongsville, Ohio, shot 50 percent (6-of-12) from the field and sank all five free throw attempts.
The 19 points are believed to be the most by an Iowa freshman in a season opener. Furthermore, White's performance marked the first time a Hawkeye posted a double-double, in a season opener since Dean Oliver had 10 points and 12 assists in a victory over Chicago State in 1997. It was the first time a Hawkeye had a double-double, points and rebounds, since Jess Settles had 13 points and 11 rebounds versus Drake in 1993.
Iowa returns to action tonight when it hosts North Carolina A&T. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Here is the full list of honorees in the Big Ten this week.
Player of the Week
Victor Oladipo, Indiana
G - So. - 6-5 - Hyattville, Md. - DeMatha
· Tied his career high with 16 points in Indiana's season-opener vs. Stony Brook before setting new career mark with 21 points against Chattanooga
· Averaged 18.5 points per game while shooting 72.2 percent from the floor, leading Indiana to a 2-0 record for the fifth straight season
· Shot 76.9 percent from the free-throw line and averaged 5.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.0 assists over the weekend
· Last Indiana Player of the Week: D.J. White (Feb. 4, 2008)
Co-Freshman of the Week
Cody Zeller, Indiana
F - 6-11 - Washington, Ind. - Washington
· Averaged 11.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.5 steals and 1.5 blocks while shooting 77.8 percent from the floor in two Hoosier victories
· Set an Indiana freshman record with six steals against Chattanooga on Sunday
· Recorded a double-double with 16 points and 10 boards against Stony Brook on Friday to open his college career
· Zeller is the first player from Indiana to be named Big Ten Freshman of the Week
Aaron White, Iowa
F - 6-8 - Strongsville, Ohio - Strongsville
· Led all players with 19 points and 10 rebounds in Iowa's season-opening win over Chicago State on Friday
· Shot 50 percent from the floor, including 66.7 from behind the 3-point line, and was a perfect 5-for-5 at the free-throw line
· Became the first player to post a double-double in his Hawkeye debut since 1997 and the first since 1993 to do it with points and rebounds
· White is the first player from Iowa to be named Big Ten Freshman of the Week